MELKSHAM TOWN COUNCIL MEETING
AT MELKSHAM TOWN HALL
MONDAY 24 JUNE 2019
Public Participation – To receive questions from members of the public.
In the exercise of Council functions. Members are reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider Crime & Disorder, Health & Safety, Human Rights and the need to conserve biodiversity. The Council also has a duty to tackle discrimination, provide equality of opportunity for all and foster good relations in the course of developing policies and delivery of services under the public sector Equality Duty and Equality 2010.
To receive apologies for absence
2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
To receive any Declarations of Interest in respect of items on this agenda as required by the Code of Conduct adopted by the Council.
Members are reminded that, in accordance with the Council’s Code of Conduct, they are required to declare any disclosable pecuniary interest or other registrable interests which have not already been declared in the Council’s Register of Interests. Members may however, also decide, in the interests of clarity and transparency, to declare at this point in the meeting, any such disclosable pecuniary interests which they have already declared on the Register, as well as any other registrable or other interests.
To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the Extra Ordinary Council meeting held on 10 June 2019.
4. POLICE REPORT
Circulated with the agenda.
5. REPORTS FROM UNITARY COUNCILLORS
Unitary Councillors to report on any matters affecting Melksham which have been discussed at Wiltshire Council Meetings.
To RESOLVE to approve the attached payments.
6.2 Payments by Direct Debit
Members are required to RESOLVE to approve the attached list of payments which will be made by Direct Debit.
6.3 Payments by BACS/Bank Transfer
Members are required to RESOLVE to approve that payment of all invoices will be made by BACS or Bank Transfer, wherever possible.
6.4 Monthly Financial Statement – 31st May 2019
To note the statement.
6.5 Detailed Income & Expenditure Report as at 1 May 2019
To note the Report.
6.6 Statement of Year End Accounts
7. EXTERNAL AUDIT 2017/2018 - APPROVAL OF THE ANNUAL RETURN AND ANNUAL GOVERNANCE STATEMENT - To follow
Members are requested to approve the Annual Governance statement 2018/19 as detailed in Section 1 of the Annual Return by a formal resolution.
Members are requested to approve, by formal resolution, the accounting Statements2018/19 as detailed in Section 2 of the Annual Return (page5).
The Annual Return must be signed by the Town Mayor, or in his absence, must be signed by the appointed Chair of the meeting. The document must also be signed
by the Town Clerk/RFO.
8. INTERNAL AUDIT REPORTS – Reports to follow
9. COMMITTEE MINUTES
9.1 Finance and Admin
To receive the draft minutes of the Finance and Admin Committee meeting held on 3 June 2019
9.2 Economic Development and Planning
To receive the minutes of the Economic Development and Planning Committee meeting held on 7 May 2019 and 28 May 2019
9.3 Community Development Committee
To receive the draft minutes of the Community Development Committee meeting held on 10 June 2019.
10. SUB-COMMITTEE MINUTES
10.1 King George V Playing Fields
To receive the minutes of the sub-committee meeting held on 30 May 2019 and to receive the draft minutes of the sub-committee meeting held on
13 June 2019.
10.2 Recommendations from KGV Playing Field Sub Committee – Sub Committee Terms of Reference
Members are requested to approve the Terms of Reference of the KGV Playing Fields Sub Committee.
10.3 Splashpad Opening Arrangements, Date and Budget
Report of the Community Engagement Officer attached which will include a cost report from the project managers along with their recommendations.
11. WORKING GROUPS
11.1 Town Team – to receive the notes of the meetings held on 28 March 2019 and 25 April 2019
12. MOTIONS WITH NOTICE – COUNCILLOR PAIN HAS SUBMITTED TWO MOTIONS WITH THE FOLLOWING PROPOSALS
The full motions are appendixes to the agenda.
12.1 Motion A – That this Council resolves:
• That Melksham Town Council Employees Discontinue the Purchase, Storage and Use of Dangerous Toxic Insecticides, Herbicides and Pesticides such as but not limited to products containing Acephate, Acrolien, Alochor, HHPs, POPs, 2,4-D or Roundup on or in but not limited to all Parks, Allotments, Graveyards, Lawns and Flowerbeds IF such properties are owned by or maintained by Melksham Town Council.
• To only use organic products approved and or recommended as described at www.hse.gov.uk in any necessary efforts to control weeds and pests
• To ensure that all official Melksham Town Council policies, procedures and grounds maintenance instructions are amended and updated to include this policy
• To seek advice, guidance and assistance from local and national recognized experts, competent bodies and relevant Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Advisory & Regulatory notifications regarding the use of any pesticide or herbicide to ensure that it is lawful, environmentally friendly and does not pose a danger to Council employees especially Grounds Maintenance Staff, volunteers and the General Public BEFORE any purchase of pesticides or herbicide is authorized or made.
• To review within 30 days of the date of this resolution any current stocks of herbicides, insecticides and pesticides to ascertain if they conform to this resolution and arrange for safe and legal disposal of all socks that do not conform to the spirit and intent of this resolution within 60 days of the date of this resolution.
• To create a public awareness of the dangers of the use of these toxic chemicals among grounds maintenance staff, allotment holders, citizens, schools, businesses and local organizations and enlist/support local action in conformity with this resolution.
• To provide adequate professional and certifiable courses for all our Grounds Maintenance Staff to ensure their and the public’s safety in the use of any pesticides, insecticides or herbicides to be used as grounds maintenance material
12.2 Motion B – that this council resolves:
• To support Wiltshire Council in its efforts to meet the County-wide goal of carbon neutrality by 2030
• To ensure that all official Melksham Town Council policies and actions confirm to Wiltshire Council’s decision regarding the climate emergency and to seek carbon neutrality by 2030
• To seek advice, guidance and assistance from local and national persons and competent bodies where necessary to review current and future Melksham Town Council policies and activities to ensure that they conform with the best practices in seeking carbon neutrality by 2030
• To craft and enshrine a climate friendly policy with carbon neutrality goals and objectives in Melksham’s policies and procedures
• To create a local awareness of the dangers of Climate Change among our citizens, schools, businesses and local organisations and enlist/support local action which is in conformity with this town’s current and future climate/environmental policies
• To organise an annual Melksham Day of Climate Awareness and Action
13. COMMUNITY EXPO
Report of the Community Engagement Officer. Members are requested to note the recommendations and allocate a budget of £600 towards the event to be held
on Friday, 20 September.
14. MELKSHAM A350: SPLITTER ISLAND
To approve the £15k implementation costings towards the planting of the splitter islands.
15. MELKSHAM COMMUNITY MEALS
Members are requested to note the financial accounts from MCM for April and May 2019. Members are also asked to consider the request from the organiser for the current rental subsidy for use of the Assembly Hal to be extended from July 2019 until September 2019 to coincide with the start of the rental grant year. Email request attached.
16. LOCAL PLAN REVIEW
Information attached. For Members to debate and comment how Melksham Town Council will be involved.
16.1 Event held at County Hall on 8 October 2018
To note outcome of event attended by various parishes in the Chippenham Housing Market Area (HMA). (previously circulated to Members in 2018)
16.2 Joint meeting with Melksham Without Parish Council
To note minutes of a meeting held on 12 December 2018 on the future growth of Melksham held on 12 December 2018 (previously circulated to
16.3 Briefing Notes from Meeting held on 12 June
To note briefing notes of meeting held with representatives of Wiltshire Council, Melksham Town Council and Melksham Without Parish Council
16.4 Appendix 4 of Local Plan Review – Chippenham Housing Market (HMA) – Assessment Summary – Cabinet Version – April 2019
16.5 A350 By-pass Presentation, November 2017 by Robert Murphy, Principal Transport Planner Wiltshire Council. (Link to presentation)
16.6 Melksham By-pass Update – 24 May 2019
16.7 Future Expansion of Melksham Oak School
To make comments on proposals on the future expansion of Melksham Oak School and note meeting taking place on Thursday, 27 June between
5.00pm-6.30pm at the school on these proposals.
17. APPEALS PANEL
Members are requested to nominate three members (not part of the Hr Sub Committee) onto an Appeals Panel in the event there are any appeals as part of the staffing review. Ideally members will have experience in HR practice.